Wednesday, April 3, 2013

A little side project

Hello everyone.

You may have noticed that I have been quiet for a while. Don't worry, I've not forgotten about Wirelect or Warrington, but I have been busy with a side project over in Ireland.

I am in Cork for a couple of months with my family on a work-related project. During this time I am documenting my adventures on social media. If you are interested, take a look at the Facebook page: Pop the Cork

In the meantime, this got me thinking about a dialect word referring to exactly this kind of side project: a foreigner. I have heard this used many times to refer to a project or job that is in addition to regular work.

Is this a Warrington word? Does it mean something different to you?

Let me know.

7 comments:

  1. Hello,
    Foreigner, building trade: work done on your own account.
    In my time at Dallam Shed loco crews from other depots were refered to quite often as "Foreigners" and also if they worked trains normally worked by Warrington crews.(driver & Fireman)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Doing a "foreigner" to me means using your workplace skills to do a job for cash outside working hours. It also implies that the person doing the foreigner is an employee, and is, in effect, cutting out the middle man (his employer)by providing a service to the payer at a reduced price while still making his own profit with the tax free cash in hand!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have'nt heard the phrase "doing a foreigner" for ages. I think,like Totty and Bryan,its work done on the side for cash in hand and also is sometimes done in your employers time and useing there equipment.So not only do you receive a tax free payment but are also getting paid by your employer.
    I have heard it called "mates rates" and also "moonlighting".
    So,does your employer know what you are doing wirelector? If not its a foreigner:-).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the responses guys.
      My side project is nothing so surreptitious ;-) just a little experiment in social media and the possibilities of online networking. My employer knows that I am here and, just like Wirelect, I don't get paid for any of this. I'm just interested in this stuff.

      Delete
  4. Hi Wirelector
    Just had a look at 'foreign' in the mini 'School' OED. 2nd explaination says 'not belonging naturally'. I suppose that gives us a clue to your situation, you wouldn't normally be found doing what your doing in that situation, paid or unpaid. Thats why you describe the work or activity as foreign. QED?
    Yorick

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello everyone,

    If you want to see an example of Warringtonian tenacity click onto Pop The Cork above.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was born and raised in Warrington. I used to hear the expression "doin' a foreigner" now and again. I think I understood the meaning from the context without explanation. I don't know if it's peculiar to Warrington.

    ReplyDelete