Friday, March 16, 2012

The Cheshire dialect

I found a wonderful reference work on line called The Dialect of Cheshire. You can read the entire book online here: http://www.archive.org/stream/glossaryofwordsu00leigrich#page/n5/mode/2up

The book was first published in 1877, and it contains many words that are still in use in the Warrington dialect. Warrington, of course, only became part of Cheshire in 1974, but the county bordered Warrington for centuries and therefore shares many local words and phrases.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for putting the book on Robert,its very interesting to see such a lot of dialect words together.I have heard some of them used although the word slancing has a very different meaning to me.In the Cheshire dialect it means prying,we used it to mean stealing sneakily.
    Some of the book is funny an all.Read the definition of wench on page 224.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, there's some great stuff in there! An interesting one I just found is "Palatic" in the additions section on page 236. It is defined as meaning "very drunk". My older brother uses this word from time to time, although he has always pronounced it as "polatic". I'll have to ask him about it when I see him next.

      Delete
    2. I have always heard the word"Paralytic" which means very drunk(literally not being able to move much)

      Delete